"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" - Aristotle

Monday, November 2, 2009

Punk Rock's Lolita - Sable Starr

13 year old Sable Starr started attending rock shows when she was 13 years old. She made a name for herself by sleeping with many well known rock musicians. By the time she was 15 she had already slapped skins with T-Rex, Iggy Pop, members of the New York Dolls, Keith Richards, and most surprisingly David Bowie. By the time she reached her 17th year she was washed up and decided she had enough of the scene. She was left to lead a drug fueled life until she died this March of a brain tumor.

Click here to read her account of her affair with David Bowie.
Deborah Harry and the late Sable Starr

Sable Starr and Iggy Pop

Here are the lyrics to Iggy Pop's song "Look Away", a bizarre tale about chopping down a 13 year old.

I slept wlth Sable when she was 13
Her parents were too rich to do anything
She rocked her way around L.A
'Til a New York doll carried her away
Look away Look away


Now he was blond and she was dark
They called him Thunder 'cause he had the spark
The dream he dreamed was straight and pure
But the confusion of life was gonna get him for sure
Look away Look away


They shared their clothes and their cowboy boots
Left them all over the floor while they dyed their roots
They live the dreann and they went non-stop
They did' ok 'til the band broke up
Look away Look away Look away Look away


Unfortunately the needle broke
Their rock and roll love like a bicycle spoke
I found her in a back street with her looks half gone
She was sellin something that I was on
Look away Look away


Now Thunder and me did not part friends
What we did once I wouldn't do again
So he stayed with the pure dream and followed the moon
'Til the drugs in his body made his mind a cartoon
Look away Look away


So a few years later Thunder died broke
Sable had a baby back at her folks
Me I went straight and serious too
There wasn't much else that I could do
Look away Look away


So now that I'm straight I'm settled too
I eat and I slesp and I work like you
I got lots of feelings but I hold them down
That's a way I cope with this shitty town
Look away Look away
Look away Look away

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if Sable would have made it in today's music world?

    Back in her heyday I don't think girls thought about making it on their own, having their own band.

    I don't think it's such a big deal today to sleep with so many rock stars.

    If it's anyone from this era that I consider ground breaking it's Joan Jett. She still rocks and still looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was so young when she was hanging out with all those perverted rock stars. I can only imagine some of the wild times she had hanging out with the likes of Led Zep and T.N.Y.D. My parents would have stuck me in a boarding school for wayward girls if I did what she did...lucky her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was 18 or 19 in that picture. It was taken in 1976...she was born in 1957.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nikcrown said...
    Compliments for post the real photo of Iggy and Sable, in the Web there are only fakes photos of Iggy and Bowie Photoshoped from this photo.... VERY, VERY, COMPLIMENTS AND TANKS SO MUCH...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...